Linux, OpenSuse

Fixing Netflix on OpenSuse with Silverlight upgrade error

It seems that the Ubuntu users have a relatively easy fix for this. They simply delete a directory and they are back in business. I haven’t found a way to fix the old Netflix package. I was able to get Netflix working again on Opensuse using Pipelight. I actually think this is a better way to run Netflix on Opensuse. This lets you run it in Firefox without using the Windows version of Firefox in Wine.

Fist add the repo for Pipelight:
openSUSE 12.2:
zypper ar --refresh

openSUSE 12.3:
zypper ar --refresh

openSUSE 13.1:
zypper ar --refresh

openSUSE Factory:
zypper ar --refresh

openSUSE Tumbleweed:
zypper ar --refresh

Install it (run as root):
zypper ref
zypper install pipelight
pipelight-plugin --update
pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight

Now you just need Firefox to be able to tell Netflix you are running Windows.

Install the User Agent Overrider. You can see how to enable it in the screenshots on that page. Switch it to Firefox for Windows. Browse to Netflix and you should be all set.


Flash not Working on Chromium with OpenSuse 13.1? Here is the solution.

For months and perhaps even years I’ve been living without Flash on Chromium. When the need arose I would simply open up Firefox. The provided installers failed to work and no matter how many times I ran through the steps Flash was not installed. I don’t know how prevalent this issue is but I think other people might run into the same issue. Here is how to fix it.

First, the Adobe supplied packages will not work. Not the RPMs. Not the tar.gz. It seems Chromium is now using a common framework for plugins called Pepper. This is not accounted for in the normal Flash package. You’ll need to install a package that can be found in the Packman repo.

Add the packman repo if you do not already have it:
zypper ar -f packman

Install the missing package:
zypper in chromium-pepper-flash

Edit: Check if Flash is working now in Chromium. It seems like they may have fixed it. If not the files are being placed in the wrong location inside OpenSuse. If it works you’re done. Otherwise continue reading.

Even after installing this package Flash still won’t work. It put the files in the wrong location. Copy them to the right location with this command:
cp /usr/lib64/chromium/PepperFlash/ /opt/google/chrome/pepper/

Restart Chromium. You may need to navigate to about://plugins to enable it. It should all be working.


Plasmoid to Display BCache Statistics in a GUI

A screenshot of the BCache GUI
The Plasmoid in it’s current release

BCache has a wealth of information tucked away deep inside your file system. I decided to create a GUI to display this information. It seemed like a pretty simple task and I had been planning on learning how to create Plasmoids for a while.

I also created a data engine so other people can get this data easily as well. The code is all non-compiled. The script should install the data engine and the Plasmoid in one click. If you want to make any changes to the data engine or the Plasmoid itself all you need to do is run and the changes will be installed.

This is a beta release and there is still more to do in the way of error handling and configuration. If you use it, let me know your thoughts on it. It is the first Plasmoid I have ever created. Now BCache users will have a simple GUI to see what is going on behind the scenes.

You can find it on KDE Look.